The director of group sales is responsible for effectively establishing and managing client relationships and accounts for their respective market segment. The director is responsible for achieving both team and individual revenue goals through managing existing client relations, solicitation of new accounts, and consistent networking efforts. This person must create an exceptional climate of professional and personable service that ensures the long-term engagement of employees, guests and owners.
- Solicit new and existing accounts to meet/exceed revenue goals through telephone/email prospecting, sales calls, site inspections, and written communication.
- Meet or exceed sales key performance indicators as assigned by the director of sales and marketing.
- Follows up promptly on leads generated by the Global Sales Offices, Destination Marketing Organizations, Cvent, and any other lead-generating source.
- Invite clients to the hotel for entertainment, lunches, tours and site inspections.
- Coordinate and participate in blitzes, expositions, fairs, familiarization trips, site inspections, and other relevant activities, exhibiting key features and benefits of the property.
- Coordinate ongoing research of the industry to detect market trends and related information for development of new sales and marketing strategies as well as to uncover potential group business; make recommendations to improve potential from various markets.
- Assist in the development and implementation of quarterly sales action plans.
- Be familiar with all Hard Rock Hotels’ sales policies and selling techniques with an emphasis on maximizing occupancy and average daily rate (ADR).
- Use Delphi.fdc or any other applicable computerized sales management system to manage the hotel’s business, including (but not limited to) generating reports, entering business, blocking space, and building accounts.
- Conduct and/or participate in the required company standard meetings, including but not limited to daily business review, weekly sales meetings, pre-cons, resume meetings, weekly one-on-one with the director of sales and marketing, and morning sound check.
- Review and develop guest history records in Delphi.fdc to enhance personalized service for repeat guests.
- Ensure proper communication between sales and operations departments to satisfy any special group needs.
- Monitor actual sales, revenues and expenses to determine variance and assess goal accomplishments, and adjust strategies and forecasts accordingly.
- Monitor competitive set activities and adjust execution as needed.
- Be able to understand and interpret market conditions, trends, and the competition by analyzing STAR data, Demand 360 reports, and sales month-end reports.
- Ensure an extraordinary experience and create loyalty to the property and Hard Rock brand by exceeding expectations through exceptional service and product quality.
- Resolve guest and client complaints and implement changes to prevent future issues.
- Work closely with Conference Services to ensure all details of the contract were delivered and guests depart satisfied.
- Monitor quality assurance program scores and guest feedback. Take corrective action when necessary.
- Review meeting planner evaluations with the director of sales and marketing to ensure that issues receive follow-up.
- Maintain effective relationships with clients, and meet and greet on-site contacts.
- Promote the organization in and out of industry and at relevant trade associations.
- Present a professional image to employees, guests, clients, owners and investors.
- Generate incremental revenue and brand awareness through the creation and implementation of brand-relevant local events and promotions.
- Develop networking opportunities through active participation in community and professional associations, activities and events.
- Operate ethically to protect the Hard Rock brand. Ensure brand and business initiatives are implemented.
- Maintain confidentiality of guest, employee and company information.
- Participate in the weekend MOD program.
- Develop a full working knowledge of the operations of the hotel, including Food and Beverage, Guest Services, and Reservations.
- Develop a complete knowledge of company sales policies and SOPs, and ensure knowledge of and adherence to those policies by the sales team.
This job description reflects the position’s essential functions; it doesn't encompass all of the tasks that may be assigned.
Requirements, Experience, Education and Certifications
- Three years to five years’ experience in hospitality management in a sales role, preferably in a lifestyle property.
- In-depth knowledge of the New York City group market, including strong relationships with incentive companies, intermediaries, and corporations.
- College degree/diploma in Hospitality Management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides knowledge, skills and ability sufficient to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- High energy with effective and influential people skills. Positive attitude and the desire to motivate others.
- Ability to prioritize and work on several projects simultaneously should pose a challenge without being overwhelming.
- Ability to comprehend and use technical or professional language, either written or spoken, to communicate complex ideas.
- Strong communication and listening skills and excellent speaking, reading and writing ability.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and employees of the organization.
- Ability to perform complex quantitative calculations or reasoning.
- Ability to perform numerical operations using basic counting, adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing.
- Understanding of the Uniform System of Accounts for Lodging.
- Strong command of software applications, especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and hotel-specific platforms (MICROS Opera, Sabre/SYNXIS, Delphi, SUN, etc.).
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers and staff, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Fluency in English; additional languages preferred.
- Ability to move throughout the business (standing, walking, kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to make repeating movements of the arms, hands and wrists.
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and perceive sound by ear.
- Ability to obtain impressions through the eyes.
- Manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and ability to work with hand above shoulders.
- Ability to occasionally move objects (lift, push, pull, balance, carry) up to 10 pounds/5 kilograms.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, chemicals, and loud/noisy environment.
- Deep understanding of lifestyle hotels and premium dining products and services
- Passion for music and knowledge of music trends preferred
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and strong organizational skills
- Ability to travel frequently
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed.